Continuing with our pumpkin unit - we completed a experiment on pumpkin seeds using our senses. After cooking our pumpkin seeds in various spices to create sweet, savory, and salty flavors, the students made predictions about which type they would like the most. We made tally charts and bar graphs to see our outcome. In the end the sweet flavored pumpkin seeds were the class favorite!
This week we learned all about pumpkins in our pumpkin unit. We learned the pumpkin life cycle and made a model, we also completed a pumpkin observation to measure such data as circumference, seed count, buoyancy, and number of ribs. Special thanks to Mr and Mrs Perez for all the help with the messy work! Check out our pictures and ask your students about their findings this week!
This week the students completed a unit study on bats. They learned about echolocation, hibernation, migration, and classifying mammals. The students also compared and contrasted megabats and microbats. They completed an Internet based research project on bats then created a model of their bat using Bat Dough! Such a fun week!
As part of our science unit on Earths Surface we learned all about rocks and soils. The students were challenged to create a community garden, including a materials list, budget, and blue print. The students decided that the budget would be 200 dollars then spent the money on materials needed. Many groups were challenged when they went over budget and had to replan! The students created a blue print of their garden! I am so proud of their hard work individually, and as a team!
In science we have been studying the earth's surface including soil and rocks. We collected soil samples, observed and classified rocks, and made hypothesis' about the world around us. Check out our STEM project where we examined which type of soil was the most permeable.
As we continued to learn and practice the scientific method, students were challenged to engineer a way to save Fred the worm, without touching him, his boat, or his life preserver!
Students were challenged to create a plan to build a boat that would hold 5 marbles and float. After creating their plan, they got down to business engineering their boat. After many repeated tests, most students were able to create the boat that held 5 marbles. This project was part of students learning the scientific method, as well as STEM rules and guidelines.
This week we learned about STEM rules and worked as a team to create a project out of pipe cleaners and aluminum foil.